Classic Baked Cheesecake Recipe
This classic baked cheesecake is super simple to make and makes a cheesecake that is smooth and creamy with a hint of lemon. Serve it plain or with fruits on side.
- Course Dessert
- Cuisine American
- Keyword baked cheesecake
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Cook Time 55 minutes
- Cooling Time 6 hours
- Total Time 7 hours 15 minutes
- Servings 12 people
- Calories 400 kcal
Ingredients for Crust:
- 250 grams digestive biscuits graham crackers or other tea biscuits can be used
- 100 grams butter softened
Ingredients for Filling:
- 500 grams cream cheese block cream cheese – NOT spreadable cream cheese
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoon milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ tablespoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F (standard) or 160 C/320 F (fan/convection). Grease a 9 inch springform pan. Put two layers of aluminium foil around the bottom springform pan in order to ensure there is no leakage.
- Break the digestive biscuits into half and put them into a food processor. Pulse till crumbs are formed, and then add the softened butter. Pulse again till combined. The mixture will look like wet sand.
- Grease the bottom of the springform pan with butter or oil. Press the crushed biscuits onto bottom and edges of springform pan. Use the back of a spoon or the side of a glass to press the biscuit in. Bake the biscuit crust for 5 minutes, and then let it cool.
- Place cream cheese and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Use an electric whisk or stand mixer to mix both together till smooth and creamy. Add milk, and then add the eggs one at a time, whisking just enough to incorporate. The mixture should be creamy and lump free at this point.
- Add the sour cream, vanilla essence, flour and lemon zest. Fold through with a rubber spatula. Don’t over mix as it can result in air bubbles.
- At this point, cover the bottom of the spring form tin with aluminium foil.
- Pour the cheesecake filling into the cooled springform tin.
- Place the spring form tin in the roasting / baking tray.
- At this point you need to add hot water from the side till it reaches halfway up the sides.
- My methodology is to put the roasting tray in the oven, and then add the hot water in the tray from the sides using a kettle or saucepan. I find that the safest method as I don’t have to carry a tray with hot water from the counter to the oven.
- Bake the cheesecake for about 45 minutes – 50 minutes till it is ready. The top will be very light golden brown, and almost fact. It should also jiggle slightly when gently shake the pan.
- Once the cheesecake is ready, turn off the oven and let the cake cool in the oven for about 1 – 1.5 hours.
- Take out the cheesecake from the oven, and let it cool till room temperature after which you can put it to chill in the fridge for 4 – 6 hours or overnight.
- Serve chilled with berries or a sauce on the side.
Biscuits: Any plain tea biscuits can be used such as Marie or Digestives. In the US, graham crackers can be used. The crumb should press to the bottom of the sides of the pan easily. If it’s too wet add another biscuit, and if it’s too dry add more butter.
Cream Cheese: Make sure to use plain cream cheese (the one that comes in blocks or squares) not the processed cream cheese spread.
Source & Credits